Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ok. So I don’t know where to start, or where to go with it, and it’s going to be hard because I know that some already know most of this, others some, and still more none, so just bare with me.

We’ll start with return home. It was devastating, emotionally and physically straining, and life scarring!!! Ok, so it wasn’t quite that bad. Returning home wasn’t so bad (it was great to see my family and friends), it’s the fact of staying home that is so hard to cope with!
I knew before I ever left the Philippines that I wanted to be a missionary. Though before I left the US I felt God calling me towards that, there was no question in my mind as I left that country. On the way back from Chicago while talking with Daddy I briefly mentioned the fact that I was sure of my calling. I knew that I would be able to discern from his response as to where him and Mama were standing. I could have guessed my fears would be true; I could tell that it wasn’t met with enthusiasm. It was pretty much “what if God has that in your future, but right now he calls you to be content where you are”. I’ve lived 19 going on 20 years, I can interpret that. I decided then and there, I would not bring up my desire to return to the Philippines and just wait and see if God might bring it up, then surely I would know it was of Him. Well what do you know, I hadn’t been home for more then two days, when Mama asked me what I desired for my future. I told her the truth. This time I was dealt with a blow from which I’ve not fully recovered. “Before you can be a missionary you must further your studies and get more training”. I took it hard. I just wanted to be a missionary; sharing the truth and gospel of my Lord Jesus Christ! Where are education and degrees factored in? Mama said she had been praying about it and she thought I should go for my LPN or Special Needs Teaching certification. I had considered the teaching degree prior to the medical school, but I knew that although I wouldn’t mind getting it, that’s not what I wanted right now. I just wanted to be on the mission field! As for LPN I didn’t know much about it, but I didn’t figure it would be practical to missionary medicine. I came away from that discussion rather distraught. After it burned every which way through my head for a week, I asked her about getting my nurses in the Philippines or somewhere where it might be practical. It would be much cheaper, I would be learning about the things I would be encountering in a third world country, and I would be able to have some hands on. This grand and glorious idea was blown away when she informed me that I was needed around home; certain siblings needed me relationship wise, and Daddy would need me as he considers another visionary business venture. I had determined before and during this discussion that I would not give way to tears. I was doing everything I could to hold them back, and when Mama sensed my wall I put up to her words she wanted me to talk and discuss it. I told her I couldn’t; I knew if I said just a few words the tears would flow. I walked in my bedroom, closed the door and turned off the light and almost fell when I reached my bed. I began forming the words in my mouth “I’m done for, God. I’ve tried and this is what I get in return. What is there to following you, anyway?” The words couldn’t even be uttered before tears started streaming down my face and my whole body began wracking with sobs. He spoke in everything, but audible words. I swear it was as loud as silence speaks. He said, “I love you. I love you more then you will ever be able to understand! You wouldn’t have had anything to do with me in the first place! It was I who chose you: because I love you.” As I lay there in bed, I sobbed out my gratefulness to Him for His love. I have never experienced His love like that before; the closest time would have been on the beach at Tamaraw. I could feel His arms around me. Squeezing me, holding me tight. I knew He loved me. I decided this whole issue was my own problem and I was just going to have to put my future as a missionary on the alter. I would just have to settle in to the old and normal life, and forget all dreams and visions. Mama wouldn’t leave things unconversed. A couple of days later, she asked me if I was ready to talk. Although I didn’t want to talk, knowing it would bring it up and I would have to lay it down again, I went ahead and said “sure”. She said that when her and Daddy got my letter asking them to pray about my going to the mission field, written from the Philippines, they both were excited and unanimously agreed that I was to get more training. She said that if God was calling me to the mission field, as a young woman He was calling me right now to wait. She told me I would have to learn to be content where I am, because He hasn’t revealed to them yet what He has to me and they don’t see an open door. I said I was trying and would continue to do my best.
I’m not opposed to getting more training, but until I feel God leading me to that, I don’t want to go for it. But I don’t want to sit around idle waiting for God to change hearts while I lose my vision by twiddling my thumbs. So I started an advanced biology course and plan on working through the chemistry as well, because I know that knowledge will be beneficial in any area and it might help me in determining where God is leading. So that’s where I am and what I am doing. And I might also add that Krissy was such an incredible encouragement to me right about this time, because no sooner did this last discussion occur and I got a note from her in answer to my enquiry concerning her nurses training, that she would probably not be taking that course as she, along with her parents, felt God calling her to full time mission work. She said it was so the working of God for her parents to be of that mind because up to this point they were totally not like that, her mother was especially very career minded. It hurt really bad seeing how very opposite God was working our cases, but it gave me such peace that He can and is changing hearts and that He will speak through my parents, but I have to trust in their decision.
And of course each time I talk with you Gin, I come away so refreshed and encouraged!

There, I did it.

So anyway, that’s just a quick catch up. Hopefully something more beneficial will come from me next time I decide to post! :)

I miss all of y’all sooooo bad!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting! And don't worry, your vision will not fade as you wait, if you wait on God! He'll guide you even in the dark; it's His hand shutting of the light right now, because He wants you to learn to TRUST HIM! What would you do if you got to the field and you didn't know how to trust Him in the dark? The mission field can be very dark, and I am convinced that is why He is having me, and you WAIT. We MUST learn to trust Him, now, while we are Here, or we will never stand the pressure and trials There. Don't give up on your calling, keep looking for the open door, but don't despair when another "door" turns out to be a wall. Trust Him to guide you further- to the real door and revel in the blessing of being IN HIS WILL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow. heaps of news
    uhhhh first of all- gotta love biology and chemistry...cough not cough. haha for me at least
    thanks for sharing how God reminded you how much He loves you. it's an experience i can connect to- and it warms my heart doing so :)
    i'm reading "life without limits" by nick vujicic and there was this quote: if you have the desire and passion to do something, and it's within God's will, you will achieve it.
    one bold statement, yes, but i honestly can't find anything wrong with it.
    have a strong, blessed start of the new year with Jesus' hand in yours.
    love, eunsi

    ReplyDelete